This is a collection of readings relevant to local Saint Louis, Missouri state and United States federal, laws and cases as they relate to education policies. The readings are organized by topic, as show below.
The First Amendment
- Tinker v. Des Moines School Dist.
- Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier
- Bethel School Dist. No. 403 v. Fraser
- What Does Free Speech Mean?
The Fourth Amendment
- New Jersey v. T. L. O.
- What Does the Fourth Amendment Mean?
The Eighth Amendment
- Ingraham v. Wright
The Fourteenth Amendment
- Goss v. Lopez
- Honig v. Doe
- Stewart v. Board of Ed. of Ritenour
- Smith v. Normandy School Dist.
IDEA and IDEIA
- Cedar Rapids Community School Dist. v. Garret F.
- Burlington School Comm. v. Mass. Dept. of Ed.
- Stuart v. Nappi
- Link: MODESE Policy
Segregation and the Fourteenth Amendment
- Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka
- Link: Missouri Revised Statutes 168.104-168.129
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 4.0 License.
Sponsoring Institution / Retrieved from Organization
University of Missouri-St. Louis
UMSL OER Adapted
This OER at UMSL
Prof. Garry for ED ADM 6205
Garry, Vanessa, "Legal Contexts of Education" (2020). Open Educational Resources Collection. 22.
Tinker v. Des Moines School Dist..pdf (149 kB)
Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier.pdf (189 kB)
Bethel School Dist. No. 403 v. Fraser.pdf (155 kB)
What Does Free Speech Mean.pdf (50 kB)
The Fourth Amendment.pdf (18 kB)
New Jersey v. T. L. O..pdf (336 kB)
What Does the Fourth Amendment Mean.pdf (50 kB)
The Eighth Amendment.pdf (18 kB)
Ingraham v. Wright.pdf (319 kB)
The Fourteenth Amendment.pdf (33 kB)
Goss v. Lopez.pdf (210 kB)
Honig v. Doe.pdf (208 kB)
Stewart v. Board of Ed. of Ritenour.pdf (96 kB)
Smith v. Normandy School Dist..pdf (85 kB)
Cedar Rapids Community School Dist. v. Garret F..pdf (145 kB)
Burlington School Comm. v. Mass. Dept. of Ed..pdf (104 kB)
Stuart v. Nappi.pdf (106 kB)
Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka.pdf (115 kB)